1949 Ford Coupe
This car had 3800 original miles when purchased at a North Carolina collector car auction in December, 2006. It is documented back to its first owner, an unmarried woman who lived in Lucasville, Ohio with her elderly mother. She purchased the car new from a Ford dealer in Waverly, Ohio. The dealer is still in business today.
The second owner, also a Lucasville resident, became aware of the car when he began delivering groceries to the woman's farmhouse in 1956. He knew that she rarely drove, using it only for physicians appointments and occasionally for trips to his parents' grocery store, but only when the weather was good. He was aware that only once did she deviate from this routine and that was to drive from Lucasville to the Ohio River and back.
When he convinced her to sell him the car in 1966 it had been driven 1702 miles. He paid $500 for it.
This car earned a it's first Dearborn Award from the Early Ford V8 Club of America and the Eastern Regional Meet in Fairfax, VA on June 2, 2007. Out of 1000 eligible points, it earned 982. In July 2007, it earned 992 out of 1000 points at the Early Ford V8 Club of America and the Central Regional Meet in Winona, MN. Having completed two Dearborn awards, it was awarded Emeritus at the 2008 Early Ford V8 Club of America Grand Nationals in Dearborn, MI. It has also scored to AACA first place Junior award In Melbourne, Florida in February 2008. The latest was a second place showing in it's class (49-53 closed) at the Hemmings Motor News Concourse D'Elegance at Stratton Mountain, VT in July 2008.
The second owner kept the car until 2004 when he sold it to another Lucasville resident. It had been driven 3400 miles at the time of this sale. The third owner removed the nose and all of the fixed window glass, stripped the body, firewall, and inner fenders and repainted it. The paint was sealed with a clearcoat making it much glossier than it should be. At the same time the engine block was repainted fairly accurately. Any minor discrepancies will be corrected. This owner kept the vehicle until February, 2006 when it was sold to yet another Lucasville resident who shipped the vehicle to a collector car auction in Zephyerhills, Florida.It was sold to a large Raleigh, NC area new car dealer at the end of February, 2006 and shipped to North Carolina.
The dealer replaced the original black sidewall tires with wide whites and had his paint specialists evaluate the possibility of a repaint due to the clearcoat. It was decided that the existing repaint was much too nice to change. Other mechanical/ electrical components were replaced by aftermarket parts but will easily be reverted back as will the tires.
This is a Deluxe Business Coupe which means that it has a floor mounted steel package shelf instead of a rear seat. There were 28,946 Deluxe Business Coupes produced in 1949 and they were purchased usually by salesmen (they were all men back then) and driven extensively to high mileage over a relatively short life span. 1949 Fords were also quite rust-prone and were pretty much obsolete in seven or eight years. This car has a flathead V-8 (it could have been equipped with a six), 16 inch tires (15 inch were an upgrade) and a recirculating heater ($30 more would have bought a fresh air unit). It has radio and clock delete plates in the dashboard. The upholstery is original and has very minor flaws that can be corrected. It runs and drives like a new car.